Monday, March 5, 2012

15 Weeks...Fusion 1, Deer 0

Week 15 got off to a little bit of a rocky start, but luckily it didn't have anything to do with Baby Branstad.  I was on my way home from the YMCA last Monday night and was near the Kwik Trip exit on Highway 14 (note: still well within Mankato city limits). I came up over the hill and around the corner and suddenly two deer were in my path.  I slammed on my breaks but could not avoid one of the deer.  He collided with the passenger side headlight and hood area and then shot up and over my car into the median.  Since I was stopped in the left lane of the highway, I quickly pulled onto the shoulder on the median side of the road - I wanted to avoid getting hit by any vehicles that might be coming up behind me.  Just as I was trying to decide what to do next, a state trooper pulled up.  He saw the whole thing and told me that I did everything right.  I was a little shaken up but luckily I was nearly stopped when I collided with the deer, so the airbags didn't deploy. I was even able to drive my car away and the only one that was hurt was the deer.  In fact, he's still in the median if anyone wants to check him out; I'm trying to come up with a name since he might be there a while!  He is, however, now without a tail because his tail was still stuck in my grill.  Nice, huh?  If I'm sounding a little bitter toward the deer, I'll point out I had just purchased my 2010 Ford Fusion at the end of December. I'm disappointed it was damaged, but that's what insurance is for and I definitely confirmed I bought a safe car.  I felt just fine after the collision, but I wanted to make sure Baby Branstad would be okay so I called the nurse line. They transferred me to my OB/GYN (who happened to be on call that night) and she reassured me that everything was fine.  I'm very thankful it wasn't worse and clearly someone was watching over me and Baby Branstad that night.

The rest of the week has been pretty uneventful.  I'm still feeling good.  I have had a lot of people comment I must be having a boy given how I'm feeling and my love for sweets (especially chocolate).  If I had to guess, I have a feeling I'm having a boy but I'm not sure why.  At this point, John and I are leaning toward finding out the gender before the baby is born but we still have a little while before it's time for that decision.

Below is the weekly baby "bump" picture.  Nothing yet...stay tuned!!







No comments:

Post a Comment