Saturday, February 25, 2012

There's a Baby Branstad on the way...14 weeks along

As many of you have heard, we are expecting a Baby Branstad!  I am fourteen weeks along and my official due date is August 21, 2012.  While I must admit we were quite enjoying our DINK (Dual Income - No Kids) lives the way they were: late nights out with friends, Twins games, spontaneous happy hours, and trips to the Caribbean, London, Vegas, the North Shore to name a few; we couldn't be more excited and blessed to embark on this new adventure.  We couldn't imagine our futures without a child and it seemed like the right time for us to start a family.

We found out I was pregnant shortly before Christmas.  Because it was so early in the pregnancy and the possibility of miscarriage is higher during that time, John and I decided not to tell anyone about the baby quite yet.  This meant, unfortunately, we had to go through all the Christmas family gatherings (there were at least 6 of them) without telling anyone.  Boy, was that tough!  However, we didn't make it through the holiday without some suspicion...  Apparently I have a reputation for rarely turning down a beer at social gatherings, and getting through a Branstad holiday gathering without several alcoholic beverage offers is next to impossible. Even though I came up with such seemingly foolproof and creative excuses such as "I'm full" and "I'm tired," it may have been the worst-kept secret among John's family!

We waited to tell our immediate family until after our first doctor appointment at 9 weeks (mid-January).  I had been feeling very good - no morning sickness and just a  little bit of fatigue if I didn't work out that day, so it was really hard for me to believe that there actually was a baby in there and that everything was going smoothly.  At our appointment we were able to have an ultrasound and see the little peanut and hear the heartbeat.  I think John and I were more relieved than anything to learn everything was right on track because up until that point it hadn't quite seemed real yet.  The Branstads and the Niemeiers could not have been more excited for us and it was so fun to finally share the news with them!

I still haven't had any morning sickness and my fatigue has greatly improved now that I have moved into the 2nd Trimester.  I'm still able to run 10-12 miles a week and take fitness classes and have continued to feel very good!  I consider myself very lucky and hope it continues!

Below are pictures of our first ultrasound at 9 weeks and a second ultrasound at 13 weeks. Baby Branstad was being evasive for the doppler at the 2nd appointment, and since the doctor couldn't get a heartbeat she quickly pulled in an ultrasound - bonus!  The first ultrasound shows the baby's profile - the head is on the left and feet/legs are on the right and the second ultrasound is a face front shot.  If you're familiar with ultrasound pics you should be able to make out the face with the eyes and mouth, little arm circles, and the round body.  It kind of looks like a little alien to me!!  But a cute alien, nonetheless.  And finally, because so many of my wonderful friends have been begging - a baby bump picture.  However, I don't think I'm showing so there's really not a bump yet - anything you think you're seeing is probably a food baby!











2 comments:

  1. I love your little bean :) And the 2nd picture is a GREAT profile picture! Very good looking belly there! And yes - they look like aliens, but the cutest aliens EVER!

    I'm glad they pulled in the ultra sound -it's a scary feeling, isn't it :( I'm glad everything is still going so well too! I'm so excited to meet Baby B! Girl or boy - I'm going to love up on him/her so much!!!

    Love you and look forward to following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete