Yes, 7 months; I am 7 months along! Where has the time gone? Here are some 7 month pregnancy stats:
Size of baby: According to the Internet - a rutabaga. I'll admit, I had to google rutabaga. Basically she should be a little over a foot long and a little over a pound in weight.
Movement: Lots of random movements all the time. On Saturday for the first time, I looked down and actually saw my skin move when she kicked!
Sleep: Great overall, but I did buy a body pillow this week. Target actually had them on sale for $8.50. Online, I saw the special "pregnancy" type ones were anywhere from $50-200, which is downright ridiculous. Apparently putting 'baby' or 'pregnancy' or 'maternity' on a product automatically means you can charge as much as you want for it. John has graciously given up a little of his side of the bed to make room for the new pillow. I can't tell if it's helping yet because two of the last three nights it has inexplicably ended up on the floor.
What I miss: Being confident that something that fit me a week ago will still fit a week later.
Cravings: Baked beans. Weird, I know. At least they're high in fiber!
Symptoms: I have been more emotional than usual lately. The waterworks have been set off a few times this week for minor things with little to no warning, and once they start it's hard to stop. I don't like it. See maternity clothes section below.
Maternity Clothes: I am basically there - at least for bottoms. I'm still able to make most of my tops work if they're flowy, stretchy, or long. My mom and I went shopping on Mother's Day specifically for maternity clothes. Disclaimer: I'm about to go on a pregnancy rant about maternity clothes. Yes, I realize there are more serious and rational things a pregnant person can whine or complain about. I don't care - this is my blog and I'll rant if I want to.
Anyone who knows me knows I love shopping, especially for clothes. Unfortunately, I'm picky and spoiled - maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time with maternity clothes. Plus, I need to dress up for my job everyday; we are not casual at all. Mankato doesn't have many stores to choose from and, as my mom and I found out, most places have only a single rack of maternity clothes (or none at all!). They offer maternity clothes online of course, however, I'm not much of an online shopper. I need to try on, feel, and see clothes before I buy them. Even reasonably priced places like Gap and Old Navy won't let you return online maternity purchases to the store, and most places charge for return shipping. It just seems counter-intuitive that there would be such annoying return restrictions on maternity clothes when pregnant women have no idea what might look good on them. So my mom and I decided to start at Motherhood. In a whole store full of maternity clothes, I figured I would be able to find something I like that works, right? I didn't feel like anything fit right and I felt the clothes were overpriced for the quality. Can't pregnant women wear quality clothes without paying an arm and a leg for them? It was really beginning to bum me out. I felt like everything I tried on screamed Hey! Look at me! I'm pregnant and might deliver at any moment! Irrational thought, I know, but that's how I felt. I did find two pairs of dress capris for $20 each so I bought those along with a shirt I can wear later in my pregnancy. My mom suggested we try Target. On the walk over, we passed a little girl who was having a bit of a temper tantrum and was on the floor bawling. I don't know what her thing was about but I immediately identified with her and wanted to do the same thing. I blame my hormonally-super-charged emotional state as well as me coming to the realization that my body is changing. And then I thought, how am I going to deal with a toddler having a temper tantrum some day if I'm getting all worked up about some silly maternity clothes I'm only going to wear for a few months? I really need to buck up. However, it was too late and the waterworks started. My mom was super sweet and encouraging and quickly helped me get me out of my funk. It also helped that I had much, much, better luck at Target. I found some good bases for more reasonable prices for the quality and they didn't make me look ridiculous: khaki shorts, jean shorts, a couple dresses (one for $14 from the clearance rack), some basic black dress pants, and a few work-appropriate tops. I feel this base along with some tops I'm borrowing from a co-worker and the maternity clothes my friend Cori has offered to lend me should get me through just fine. I realize there will be times, especially at the end, where I can't help but look ridiculous and very, very pregnant, and whatever fits will be good enough. But that doesn't mean I can't do my best to look cute as often as I can for as cheap as I can in the meantime. End of Rant.
Best moment this week: I don't know about your mom, but my mom rules. By far, the best part of the week was spending time shopping with her on Mother's Day. She must have told me 100 times how great I looked throughout the day and she loved everything I tried on and thought I looked cute even if I didn't! She had such patience with me while I was going through my little clothes issue and was super supportive. On top of that, she bought me an outfit! What a sweetheart! Just like the old days, heehee. I truly have a Super Mom and I don't tell her that enough. So Mom, thanks so much for always being there for me and helping me through trivial meltdowns from age 2 to 29. Baby Girl and I are lucky to have you. Oh man....here come the tears again.... :-)
And finally Week 25 bump picture:
Baby Girl is now officially 0-3 when it comes to Twins games. Maybe she will be good luck after she's born!
Oh Shannon I love you! Love reading your blogs. I dont know how you made it this long without wearing maternity clothes- pretty sure I was wearing them by week 12! Pregnant people are cute and you are about the cutest I have seen. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. Cant wait to meet your Baby Girl!
ReplyDeleteTarget is great for maternity clothes!! They have a chevron print maxi skirt right now (maternity) that I think is adorable. I shopped a lot from the Gap, too. Otherwise, I wore A LOT of non-maternity dresses. Maxi dresses will become your best friend this summer. To work, I wore a lot of dresses and belted them over my bump so I didn't look like a tent.
ReplyDeleteUgh, the glucose test. I failed that puppy. Could have been all the nutella I ate. But they also say carbs set it off (i.e. if you eat carbs that morning). The longer test is no big deal, though. Good luck! Enjoy your sugary beverage :)
YOU LOOK GREAT!!
Oh Shannon :) I love you! The maternity clothes now a days are apparently MUCH more attractive and stylish than they used to be, but that also sometimes means having to spend a little more...
ReplyDeleteYou ABSOLUTELY can have what I have - but most of them are winter clothes-so you make due with what you can :)
I always told (and am still telling) myself that I will only get to wear these big, bulky clothes a few times in my life (I plan on being thin) so I'm going to just enjoy it!
Right now I'm to the point that it's all hanging out and I honestly don't give a rats ass :)
I also found that if you buy summer dresses that are they "lykra" fabrics - they're the more stretchy kind - NON maternity - you can wear them & your belly will just stretch right into it :) I wear them now and they are SO MUCH more comfortable than anything else! Plus you can wear them afterwards :)
Love you and so happy you're doing well! Welcome to the wonderful world of hormones...it only gets better!! (or worse-depending on how you look at it!)
I feel you on the maternity clothing, I started a bit earlier than you. I have found it frustrating because none of the brands remain consistent with their sizing. I am a fan of dresses and skirts. I had luck at some second hand shops (pants at $17) Don't know what the second hand shops are like around you. Best wishes and I am sure you look great in the maternity clothing! Stacy
ReplyDelete