On Saturday, Delight, Josie and I participated in the Schell's Lager Lauf at Schell's Brewery in New Ulm. There was a 6K and a 12K (think 6 pack and 12 pack) and we did the 6K. Soon-to-be Auntie Anne came down to race too and placed 2nd in her age group in the 12K! (John and I are hoping Baby Girl inherits Auntie Anne's awesome athletic ability.) The unique part of this race was participants got to sample a shot of Schell's beer halfway through the race. While I did not do any beer sampling (DUH), it sounded like too fun of a race to pass up! And it was!
Since I have been running a ton less in the last few weeks and spending more time on the elliptical and in aerobic classes I wasn't sure how I would do in the 6K. When I had tried to go out for a run I would maybe run a mile slowly before I would feel I would want to walk and then run/walk until I got to two miles. 6K is about 3.7 miles for those of you keeping track at home. I had warned Josie and Delight that I'd probably walk most of it and if I did run it would be really slow. I don't know if it was the adrenaline of the race and the fun atmosphere but I felt great during the race and ran almost the whole thing at a steady comfortable pace. Because I'm strange and love hills, I ran up the grueling Payne Street hill without stopping. Then at the top I stopped and walked a little bit. I also stopped at the water stops, to take a picture of De with her beer shot, and halfway through the last hill up to the brewery so I could push through the last little bit to the end. As we were getting toward the end of the course, a woman who probably won the 12K and looks like those people in Runner's World turned around as she was buzzing by to tell me good job! That definitely gave me the extra push to keep going strong! My final time was 44:41. 7 months pregnant and STILL in the top half of the results as John pointed out to me! Afterwards Delight and Josie had a beer and I had a delicious 1919 root beer to celebrate. I'm looking forward to telling Baby Girl about it some day. It was a fun race and we're already planning to do it again. Hopefully next time I'll be able to participate in the sampling :-)
Quick pic before the race
Only 1919 for me and baby!
Having a celebratory Root Beer - Yum!
Week 26 Bump



Shannon, you are a rockstar!
ReplyDeleteYou have definitely popped out a bit more since I saw you on Mother's Day. You look great.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mom