Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Day in the Life of a Working Mom (and Dad)



Well, I haven't kept up the blog like I would have liked to. Turns out having a baby around keeps you VERY busy. There are so many posts I want to write: birth story, breastfeeding, the insane newborn period, life on maternity leave, going back to work, and of course the best part of the blog, Lainey updates. I missed her 4 month update, and now her 6 month check up is fast approaching so I hope to post an update on her then. In the meantime, here's a little glimpse into what we've been up to lately, which might explain why I've been on a hiatus from the blog.

Day in the Life of a Working Mom (and Dad):

We'll assume Lainey has slept through the night. Which is a safe assumption if we're not transitioning her to her crib or she's not teething or battling a cold.

6:00 a.m. - My alarm goes off. Feels like I only slept 5 minutes. So tired. Get in shower and mostly ready.
6:30-7:15 a.m - Wake Lainey and nurse her. John wakes up and gets ready.
7:15-7:40 a.m. - Pick out clothes for Lainey, pump, finish getting ready, pack up pump and parts, pull lunch together and say goodbye to Lainey. John changes and dresses Lainey and takes her to daycare.
8:00-9:30 a.m. Work. Super busy as always. The day goes fast and I try not to get too distracted by the million other things related to Lainey and home running through my head.
9:30-9:50 a.m. - Pump and clean parts.
10:00-12:00 p.m. - Work. Keep trying to stay focused...
12:00-12:20 a.m. - Pump and clean parts.
12:20-1:00 p.m. - Lunch. Starving. Eat something quick.  Run errands if needed.
1:00-3:30 p.m. - Work.
3:30-3:50 p.m. - Pump and clean parts.
4:00-5:00 p.m. - Work. Focus waning...Mental countdown to 5:00. Can't wait to see her!
5:00-5:20 p.m - I'm outta here.  Drive home.  Worst part of the day.  Is teleporting a thing yet?
5:20 p.m. - Pick up Lainey from daycare. So glad to see her. Grill teacher about her day.
5:30-6:00 p.m. - We all get home and settled in. Hugs and kisses for Lainey. Analyze (and probably over-analyze) her daycare sheet - diapers, naps, feedings.
6:00-6:50 p.m. Nurse Lainey. John unloads my pump gear and bags and freezes milk. He also usually starts or makes something for supper.
7:00-7:45 p.m. Play with Lainey. Try to eat something fast. It's usually frozen pizza, Mac & cheese, cereal, frozen pizza, soup, tuna sandwiches, frozen pizza, or grilled cheese. Wait, did I mention frozen pizza? If it's bath night we fit that in too.
7:45-8:30 p.m. - Lainey starts getting tired. Wrap her up and snuggle until bedtime. She usually takes a little snooze from ~8-8:30.
8:30-9:45 p.m. - Bedtime routine. Very important. We've been doing it the same since, well, basically her whole life. Diaper change and pj's. Nurse one side. Burp. Dad puts Lainey in sleep sack and kisses her goodnight. Back to mom for nursing on other side. Burping, rocking, and goodnight kisses. Lay her in crib. Turn on sleep sheep. Lights out.  I would like to start incorporating reading a book and saying prayers somehow.
9:45-10:15 p.m - John and I wash bottles and pump parts and pack up bottles from drying rack for daycare.
10:15-10:45 p.m. - Get ready for bed. Pump. Wash parts.
10:45 p.m. Exhausted. Crash hard.
REPEAT UNTIL WEEKEND.

I have never looked forward to weekends like I do now. Quality Lainey time is the top priority. When Lainey is napping, tasks like doing laundry, grocery shopping, straightening up, and sleep (every once in a while) unfortunately win out over making shutterfly books and writing the blog. But as she's getting older her schedule's getting more predictable and we're slowly getting better at figuring out how to get things other than the necessities done. Our house is a mess. I still don't have anything on the walls in Lainey's room. I haven't written a thing in Lainey's baby book yet. BUT, I do have a beautiful, well fed, content, and very loved little girl. I will always have time later to clean and make photo books, but Lainey will not always be six months old, so I am very much just living life in the present and taking in as much of her as I can.



2 comments:

  1. I love you :) And no matter what, you are doing everything right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - and just to put it out there...doesn't it 100% absolutely SUCK how much time daycare gets to spend with her during the week? I feel so cheated all the time. We are usually home around 4:20 with our kids - I start dinner, feed boys, then Callie, Josh and I sit down to eat while boys sit next to us throwing back some good ol cheerios :) Playtime then bath night and BAM - bedtime...where did the time go? I hate hate hate not being with them more.

    Shutterfly books are not a priority...if you want to make them, they will get done when you are good and ready!

    Keep up the good work momma - GREAT job nursing :)

    ReplyDelete