The week started off with our first "baby class" - newborn care. Seems relevant, don't you think? We learned an overview of the care Baby Girl would be receiving in the hospital and shortly after birth,and about feeding and when to call the doctor. We also watched a video with a guy that I instantly dubbed the "Baby Whisperer." Apparently if you apply his 5 S's your baby, who was previously fussing and wailing, is basically soothed into a instant calm sleep. Pretty unbelievable - in the video it was like a switch was flipped - but we'll have to see if it really works! We also learned how to swaddle and practiced it on dolls. If anyone has seen how John folds his laundry then you would not be surprised that he is already an excellent swaddler. Granted the doll was not squirming and crying, but it was still pretty impressive. Since my folding technique more resembles scrunching and crumpling I will need some practice to keep Baby Girl swaddled together nice and tight. We watched a demonstration of the moby wrap and sling carriers and got a little information on cloth diapers. I'm not interested at all in going the cloth diaper route - sorry environment!!
We were able to get out on the boat for the 4th of July but not without a small complication. I knew it was going to be EXTREMELY hot out that day so I made sure to take the proper precautions to keep me and baby safe. I wore a baseball cap, slathered on the sunscreen multiple times, drank 3 giant bottles of water, had healthy snacks like apples and fruit cups, and spent most of the afternoon actually sitting in a lawn chair in the water up to my waist at the island - the sandbar in Madison Lake. As we were heading in to the landing later that afternoon to bring in the boat, I got an extremely painful feeling - what I would describe as a cramp - in my whole abdomen. It would not subside and it scared the crap out of me. I had no idea if this was one of those Braxton Hicks contractions, a muscle cramp, indigestion, or if the baby was on her way. All I knew was IT HURT. From a couple calls to the nurse line and my doctor's office the next day, I learned that despite all my precautions and attempts to stay hydrated, the extreme heat was too much for this pregnant woman and I ended up getting dehydrated which in turn caused a contraction. Though not the kind that would put me into labor, my doctor informed me later. The initial contraction subsided after about 10 minutes or so and I was told to rest and drink a bunch of water and I should feel better. The contraction caused my abdominal wall to be extremely sore that night and the next day - so much so that I could barely move in bed, walk, or breathe without pain in my abdomen. Imagine how sore you might be after an extremely hard ab workout, then imagine your ab muscles are stretched and super thin. Luckily, I was reassured the next day by my doctor's nurse that the baby was fine and that I should continue to catch up on drinking lots of water, and take Tylenol and stay active to help with the soreness. By Saturday I was feeling back to normal. Had I known pregnant women are so fragile in that kind of heat I would have never put myself and Baby Girl in that position. Luckily, it did not harm the baby in any way (she got her hydration which is why there was none left for me) but was a wake-up call to start taking things a little easier these last 6 weeks. I guess now I know what a contraction feels like, although it's not very comforting. I remember telling John that night, "if that was a contraction I'm in trouble" except I might have used a less refined phrase. John's response: "well if it was, at least when it really happens you'll have drugs." Heck yes.
Saturday was the big day for my sister. Her wedding? No, silly - her Bachelorette Party! I made it most of the night despite some glorious swelling of the feet. I only occasionally felt awkward being pregnant in a bar, but that's to be expected. I opted out of the dance club at the end of the night. Sober, 8 months pregnant, tired, and aged 29 was not going to mix with that type of bar. Josie graciously accompanied me back to the hotel so we could order pizza to have on hand when the other girls got back. It was a great time and I was happy to celebrate my sister's last fling with her! I'm looking forward to the activities ahead in the next couple months. It's an exciting time in the Niemeier family right now!
The next day John and I headed to Milwaukee for AgStar's Summer Conference. Basically, John's work sends each employee and a guest for a two night stay in a hotel, great meals, fun activities, a team building event for employees, and then a speaker on the last day. I handled the 6 hour drive fairly well and made sure I kept my feet up most of the time. When we crossed the Minnesota/Wisconsin border I told Baby Girl she better stay in my belly for the next two days because I was not going to raise a Cheesehead. Fortunately for everyone, she obeyed. She's such a good little girl already! For our activity we toured the Miller Brewery. It was an interesting tour but since I'm not a fan of Miller beer I didn't mind that I only "sampled" a Coke at the end of the tour. Given the long week I was glad to be home on Tuesday night and get back to a normal routine.
There you have it - Week 33! 6 more weeks to go!
Baby's 1st Bachelorette Party!
Nothing says "fit parent" like a Week 33 baby bump picture in front of the Miller High Life Airstream Bus!
John and I at the Miller Brewery beer garden

Hey Shannon, we use the five S's still with Hayden and it does work wonders! I would highly recommend the book... It has lots of great ideas and explanations for baby emotions the first few weeks at home. We also found a swaddle sack to work the best expecially at night it kept Hayden sleeping all night by November! I also know your pain with heat and baby.. I was put on bed rest after going to a Twins game last July when it was 90 degrees out and got sunburned and dehydrated... I too never thought it would be a problem I wasn't due till October... Guess we learn quickly. Hope you are doing well this week... I enjoy reading about your adventures and am very excited for you to be a mommy! It's wonderful! Take care, Erin
ReplyDelete