Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hello 3rd Trimester!! Weeks 28 and 29

And just like that, I'm in my 3rd trimester - I can hardly believe it!  We have been very busy the last couple weeks, which is why I'm a little behind on my posts and why there's two weeks in one post.

Week 28 went by especially fast because we had Jeff and Patria's wedding festivities in Minneapolis.  The wedding was beautiful and Jeff and Patria put on a great party to celebrate.  They hired a live band for the dance - AWESOME!  Baby Girl must have enjoyed the live music because I swear she was having her own dance party in my belly that night.  Either that or she was all sugared up from from the few glasses of root beer I had.


Bump at 28 weeks in $18 clearance maternity dress from Target


Groom and Best Man waiting for the bride to arrive



Wedding Party on stage at the Varsity Theater

Speaking of sugar, the Monday after the wedding weekend I had a regular check up with my OB and the infamous gestational diabetes screening test.  This wasn't the greatest timing for me considering in the week leading up I hadn't done much exercising and I totally indulged over the wedding weekend: Pizza Luce on Thursday, yummy wedding appetizers and root beer Friday, and Dairy Queen Saturday.  Given that, I shouldn't have been shocked when I stepped on the scale at the doctor's office on Monday morning and I had my highest weight gain to date, but I was!  Fortunately, my doctor didn't even bat an eye at it and my belly is measuring right on track.  The diabetes screening test was no big deal to me and I thought the sugary orange drink tasted like a melted orange freezie.  YUM!  And maybe that was why a day later the nurse called me and told me I had failed the screening test (my level needed to be 140 or below and I was 145 - dang, just missed it) and would need to take the 3-hour glucose tolerance test.  This is an actual diagnostic test for gestational diabetes.  I had my blood drawn after fasting for 12 hours and then had to drink the orange drink again - this time a bigger glass and a higher concentration of sugar.  Still tasted great to me!!  Then I had to sit in the waiting room for three hours so they could call me in to draw blood each hour.  I was pretty optimistic that I didn't have diabetes but it made me a little nervous.  The 3 hours in the waiting room weren't that bad because I had an awesome book to read - Unbroken - so it went by really fast.  When else would I get three hours to just relax and read when I should be at work?  The worst part about it was that I was super hungry by the end of the test!  Seriously, who makes a pregnant women not eat for 15 hours!  A few hours later the nurse called with the results of the test: I PASSED, NO DIABETES FOR ME!  I promptly celebrated with a piece of DQ ice cream cake for a co-worker's birthday.  Why not?!

Week 29 marked the arrival of our first CSA share.  That's Community Supported Agriculture for all you non-hippies.  This was probably good timing given my little dilemma above!  In our first share we had lettuce and mixed greens, shelling peas, rhubarb, radishes, cilantro, and green onions.  Luckily, there was no weird mystery fruit in our bag like on Portlandia ;-).  We were pretty proud of ourselves because we were able to mix in some cilantro and green onions into our regular enchilada recipe.  We are very much looking forward to our weekly half-share.  The best part is I'll be passing on all sorts of nutrients and unique tastes to Baby Girl!

John accomplished one of his first dad duties by picking up Baby Girl's crib from Babies 'R Us on Saturday while I helped Andrea and friends assemble wedding invitations.  We had to borrow Andrea and Ryan's Tahoe (thanks guys!) to transport it home but John managed to get the whole thing in the house by himself.  Next step - assembly! Well, actually, we're going to need to clean out that room first.  One thing at a time.

I've been slowing adding things to our baby registries at Target and Babies 'R Us, but man is it overwhelming.  Luckily my friend Elizabeth (she has a daughter who's almost 3) accompanied me to Target early last week and helped point out essentials and honestly, just explain what some things are used for!  It was super helpful so I'm feeling a lot better about the process.  Thanks, Elizabeth!

I was also getting a little overwhelmed with all the rearranging and reorganizing of rooms we have to do before we can start putting together the nursery.  My bestie Josie came over on Sunday afternoon to help me organize and clean out the downstairs bedrooms.  We made a ton of progress and did such a good job rearranging and organizing the closets that we really should have our own HGTV show.  Since we got such a good start, the task is starting to look a lot less daunting than it had.  Thanks, Josie!

There's still a lot to do but that will have to wait for another time as we're off to Denver this weekend  for John's college roommate Olaf's wedding!  We're going to stay a few extra days somewhere in the area or up into the mountains - plans are still up in the air as of the time of this writing - to have one of our last little getaways before Baby Girl arrives!  Be prepared for baby bump pictures at 5,280 feet!


Week 29 - Getting bigger!!


1 comment:

  1. If you have time to get together for a meal while in Denver, give me a call (571-241-5729). We are house hunting in the morning on Saturday and volunteering in the morning on Sunday; but should have the evenings free. Stacy

    ReplyDelete